Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Get the right people on the bus.

Before becoming great, the CEO's of Good to Great Companies first had to hire the right people. They got the right people on the bus, and created a dynamic environment with the right level of motivation. They didn't rush the process. If they didn't find someone qualified on the first try, they waited. Great companies never rush important decisions. They realized that great people do not have to have much skill or knowledge but rather innate characteristics and abilities that make them likely to succeed.

Greatness is largely a matter of choice; we choose the bus, we choose to set it in motion and we choose to fill that bus up with the right people. Our choices in life are similar to this peocess grea CEO's use -- we choose which route we take in life, how we are going to travel on it (scenic route? expressway?) and we choose which people are going to make the journey with us. Every once in awhile we get a flat tire or run out of gas, but eventually, we get back on the road. While sometimes we wish to rush the process, it's necessary to enjoy the scenic backroads from time to time. What beauty surrounds an expressway? Usually just a lot of crap, literally, I'm referring to rest stops. Like the great CEO's did, it's important to surround yourself with positive and motivating people in your life; it makes the journey that much more fun.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this analogy. I kind of wonder what would happen if it was expanded. For example, what if you have a flat tire and reach in the trunk for a spare and there is none? There are so many ways to go with it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed this analogy. You are very insightful! I agree with Trey I'd love for them to expand upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    In theory I agree with you, but often times I feel that the board of directors and share holders want quick results and prevent the process of allowing the CEO to get the right people for his vision. I wonder if you agree with that at all, if so let me know Thursday. And while I am not employed by a large company and have no experience in the corporate world, I am skeptical because even in my small world I know that companies often have pressures and influences coming from other sources. Often these sources lobby and do a lot of politicking and that what is said to the public is really not going on behind the scenes. As I think about my response I realize that I sound like a skeptic, when I am usually an optimist. I just feel that while I like this theory it does not work in the real world. Hopefully, I am just jaded...thoughts?

    ReplyDelete